Over the past 4 weeks, I have been taking a cake decorating class with two of my friends, Julie and Nikki. It has been so much fun! We even went a little crazy, and got cute aprons, towels and wash cloths to match! Hey, if you're going to take a cake decorating class, you may as well go all out, right?
Our first class, we didn't do much, other then listening to the teacher go over how to properly make a cake, how to make frosting, and how to properly frost a cake.
Our 2nd week, we learned how to make a star, different lines (zigzag, squiggly, etc), and writing. In class we had the option to make a teddy bear cake COVERED in stars, or a rainbow cake. I decided to try the rainbow cake....It didn't come out to well. I was so annoyed when I was frosting my cake for the first time (each week we have to bring a 2 layered, frosted cake to class). It was so horrible, and I kept thinking to myself "She made this look a heck of a lot easier in class!" Then when I got to class, things just weren't quite working out for me. It was pretty hard on my hands. I was almost ready to give up, but I'm SO glad I didn't!
Week 2 rainbow cake:

Our 3rd week we learned how to make drop flowers, faces, bears, and clowns! We had the option to bring cupcakes or a cake. I decided to bring cupcakes, because I'm a cupcake kinda girl.
Week 3 cupcakes:

(they fell over in the car, and got a little squashed. So these aren't the best pictures, but you get the idea)
Our 4th class was the grand finale! We learned how to make roses, leaves, vines, and bows!
I was all emotional in class (although I managed to keep it in:), because with each rose I made, I felt So proud of myself! My mind kept going back to the first class, when my cake looked horrid and it just seemed hopeless. I was amazed at how much I had grown!
Week 4 rose cake:
(I took a TON of pics of this cake because I'm a proud mama)



This was so much more then a simple cake decorating class to me. I learned a lot about decorating cakes, but I also learned SO much more!
I learned not to give up. If I would have given up the first time I felt frustrated, look how much I would have missed out on! I would have never had the opportunity to gain all that I did.
I learned to believe in myself. There were times when I would tell myself I just wasn't creative, or skilled enough to do this. Now I know that I TOTALLY am!! :)
I learned to not back away from something that intimidates me, or takes me out of my comfort zone. I learned to just jump right into it, and not let fear keep me from doing something that I really want to do.
I learned how to be more organized, and not procrastinate so much. Each week I had to have a cake all ready to go, along with all the frosting that I would need in class. Sometimes, it was a lot of frosting! I became better at doing everything I needed to, in order to meet a deadline.
I'm really happy I took this class. Like I said, I got so much more out of it than just learning how to make cakes.
I got a Wilton Method of Cake Decorating Course One Certificate of Completion. I'm totally proud of that little piece of paper...even though it really doesn't mean anything :) To me, it does...
I'm super excited for the next three courses! I've learned all this in just one course, and I can't wait to see what I will learn over the next three!!
Our first class, we didn't do much, other then listening to the teacher go over how to properly make a cake, how to make frosting, and how to properly frost a cake.
Our 2nd week, we learned how to make a star, different lines (zigzag, squiggly, etc), and writing. In class we had the option to make a teddy bear cake COVERED in stars, or a rainbow cake. I decided to try the rainbow cake....It didn't come out to well. I was so annoyed when I was frosting my cake for the first time (each week we have to bring a 2 layered, frosted cake to class). It was so horrible, and I kept thinking to myself "She made this look a heck of a lot easier in class!" Then when I got to class, things just weren't quite working out for me. It was pretty hard on my hands. I was almost ready to give up, but I'm SO glad I didn't!
Week 2 rainbow cake:
Our 3rd week we learned how to make drop flowers, faces, bears, and clowns! We had the option to bring cupcakes or a cake. I decided to bring cupcakes, because I'm a cupcake kinda girl.
Week 3 cupcakes:
Our 4th class was the grand finale! We learned how to make roses, leaves, vines, and bows!
I was all emotional in class (although I managed to keep it in:), because with each rose I made, I felt So proud of myself! My mind kept going back to the first class, when my cake looked horrid and it just seemed hopeless. I was amazed at how much I had grown!
Week 4 rose cake:
(I took a TON of pics of this cake because I'm a proud mama)
This was so much more then a simple cake decorating class to me. I learned a lot about decorating cakes, but I also learned SO much more!
I learned not to give up. If I would have given up the first time I felt frustrated, look how much I would have missed out on! I would have never had the opportunity to gain all that I did.
I learned to believe in myself. There were times when I would tell myself I just wasn't creative, or skilled enough to do this. Now I know that I TOTALLY am!! :)
I learned to not back away from something that intimidates me, or takes me out of my comfort zone. I learned to just jump right into it, and not let fear keep me from doing something that I really want to do.
I learned how to be more organized, and not procrastinate so much. Each week I had to have a cake all ready to go, along with all the frosting that I would need in class. Sometimes, it was a lot of frosting! I became better at doing everything I needed to, in order to meet a deadline.
I'm really happy I took this class. Like I said, I got so much more out of it than just learning how to make cakes.
I'm super excited for the next three courses! I've learned all this in just one course, and I can't wait to see what I will learn over the next three!!




4 comments:
I am SO impressed! Those roses were beautiful. And you look pretty hot in that cute apron! :)
WOW! Great Job Brittany! You are a PRO! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!
You guys are so sweet! THANKS!!!
You did an awesome job on the roses, wish I could do stuff like that!
Post a Comment