I finished course 3!
It always go's by so fast!
This course was very fun, and definitely the harder one of the 3 courses!
It always go's by so fast!
This course was very fun, and definitely the harder one of the 3 courses!
Lesson 1, we learned cornelli lace (a continual squiggly line), bead border, brush embroidery on fondant flowers, single drop strings, multiple drop strings, overlapping drop strings, ruffle border, and ruffle garland.
Lesson 2, we learned how to work with fondant, the fondant rose, and how to make a fondant ribbon and bow tie.
(it's supposed to look like a present, but there wasn't enough time in class, and I didn't have enough fondant. So, it's a cake with a bow:)
Lesson3, we learned how to make the following flowers in royal icing: Easter lilly, poinsettia, petunia, and morning glory.
Lesson 4, we made a 2 teird cake!!
We had to bring two, 2 layered cakes covered in fondant, and our roses that we made at home, to class.
Our teacher told us we could switch out the fondant roses, with either royal icing, or butter cream icing roses. I didn't like the roses we learned in class, so I looked up videos on-line, and taught myself how to mold them by hand.
I liked the way they came out, but it was time consuming, and I had to make 30 roses! So, I decided to make them out of royal icing instead.
In class, we assembled our cake, and decorated it with the roses we brought from home.
(my friend Julie and I with our final cakes. Julie did a really cool Halloween cake!)
I was in a rush to get home that night, so I waited until I got home to put on the leaves, and I also removed some roses, because it looked cluttered to me.
The final product...



I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I got so much more out of this then just learning how to decorate cakes!
During this course, I also learned:
~Not to give up. The day of our final class, I was up sick the night before and didn't get much sleep, and I still had an upset stomach. I was not physically or emotionally up for the challenge of making 30 roses, and getting my cakes ready for class. I really wanted to throw in the towel that morning, but managed to move forward. Then when it came time to put the fondant on my cake, it was completely not working, and it kept ripping. At that point, I decided I was giving up, and I wasn't going to finish the course. I sat down on the couch, completely frustrated. I stared at my unfinished cake on the counter and a voice in my head kept telling me not to give up. I wasn't on the couch for more then 3min, when I got up, and gave it another try. I got everything done, and I couldn't believe I did it! I felt really proud, and happy I didn't give up.
~I grew a deeper appreciation for my husband. He helped me out a lot the last day, and I would not have been able to finish without him.
~To believe in myself. I really didn't think I could get the last class completed, but I kept telling myself "You can do this Brittany. You can totally do this!"
~I learned that through our struggles, come lessons and rewards, IF we allow it to. The last day of class was a huge struggle for me. It was filled with many emotions, and lots of tears. By persevering, I made it to the end, with lessons learned, and a beautiful cake to show for it! Although it would have been a completely different outcome, if I let my struggles bring me down.
Yes, I took that valuable life lesson from a cake decorating class!
Course 4 starts in January...Can't wait!
Lesson 2, we learned how to work with fondant, the fondant rose, and how to make a fondant ribbon and bow tie.
Lesson3, we learned how to make the following flowers in royal icing: Easter lilly, poinsettia, petunia, and morning glory.
Lesson 4, we made a 2 teird cake!!
We had to bring two, 2 layered cakes covered in fondant, and our roses that we made at home, to class.
Our teacher told us we could switch out the fondant roses, with either royal icing, or butter cream icing roses. I didn't like the roses we learned in class, so I looked up videos on-line, and taught myself how to mold them by hand.
In class, we assembled our cake, and decorated it with the roses we brought from home.
I was in a rush to get home that night, so I waited until I got home to put on the leaves, and I also removed some roses, because it looked cluttered to me.
The final product...
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I got so much more out of this then just learning how to decorate cakes!
During this course, I also learned:
~Not to give up. The day of our final class, I was up sick the night before and didn't get much sleep, and I still had an upset stomach. I was not physically or emotionally up for the challenge of making 30 roses, and getting my cakes ready for class. I really wanted to throw in the towel that morning, but managed to move forward. Then when it came time to put the fondant on my cake, it was completely not working, and it kept ripping. At that point, I decided I was giving up, and I wasn't going to finish the course. I sat down on the couch, completely frustrated. I stared at my unfinished cake on the counter and a voice in my head kept telling me not to give up. I wasn't on the couch for more then 3min, when I got up, and gave it another try. I got everything done, and I couldn't believe I did it! I felt really proud, and happy I didn't give up.
~I grew a deeper appreciation for my husband. He helped me out a lot the last day, and I would not have been able to finish without him.
~To believe in myself. I really didn't think I could get the last class completed, but I kept telling myself "You can do this Brittany. You can totally do this!"
~I learned that through our struggles, come lessons and rewards, IF we allow it to. The last day of class was a huge struggle for me. It was filled with many emotions, and lots of tears. By persevering, I made it to the end, with lessons learned, and a beautiful cake to show for it! Although it would have been a completely different outcome, if I let my struggles bring me down.
Yes, I took that valuable life lesson from a cake decorating class!
Course 4 starts in January...Can't wait!




3 comments:
Congratulations Brittany,
I love it when you learn
the cake is beautiful
and so are you!
Grandpa Gallacher
Hi Brittney!
My name is Rachel - I'm a friend of Al's. I was telling him that I was taking cake decorating, and he had to show me your cake. Your flowers are AWESOME! I have a hard time with roses. Were those made with buttercream? Did you use tip 104 or a bigger one? I've taken a few of the cake decorating courses at Michaels, but would love to take the Wilson course one day! Keep up the awesome work!
Rachel
Hi Rachel!
Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. Sometimes I don't scroll down to see if I have comments on older post.
I love taking the Wilton courses! I'm starting a new course in January, I'll be putting pics up, as soon as I'm done with the course, if you would like to check it out. Also, on the side column of my blog I have a section called "Label Collage" if you click on the word "Cake Decorating" you can see the past post I've done on cake decorating. I have pics of course 1, 2, and 3. It can give you an idea of what to expect if you do take the courses.
For the cake I made for course 3 (the cake shown on this post) I used royal icing. I don't recommend royal icing, I seriously don't like it! :0) The two big pictures of my roses, were actually roses I made out of fondant. I LOVE making roses out of fondant! You can make your roses look very realistic. I have made roses out of butter cream (pictures of those roses are on the first course post) I do like using the butter cream icing. I use tip 104, tip 12, and the flower nail #7. I hope this helped!
Post a Comment