Today was good Sunday.
Peaceful.
Warm.
Peaceful.
Warm.
Our tradition is to wake up early and make breakfast together (other then our normal breakfast of cereal) on General Conference Sundays. I love this tradition! I remember one general Conference when I was 10 (I think), the family came over, and we all ate breakfast together and watched General Conference. I loved that day. The house felt so warm. I wanted to carry as much as I could of that memory into my marriage, and make it a tradition.
(flickr)
So, On this General Conference Sunday, Joe and I woke up and made Cinnamon raisin french toast. It was yummy. Afterwords, we watched General Conference together.
I loved this General Conference! There were lots of good messages.
Here are some of our favorites. Some are Joe's and some are mine. We didn't always remember to write down who the quote was from. Sorry...maybe you remember? And they probably aren't word for word :)
"Nothing in this life can make us truly happy, except for the Gospel."
The Gospel in our lives makes everything perfect. Some people may say to themselves, "My children make me happy, My spouse makes me happy, or my family makes me happy..." Of course it is true that those things make you happy, but I think having the Gospel completes everything. Having the Gospel in your life brings truth into your life. It guides you, it teaches you who you are (A son or daughter of God), and who you can become. Knowing those things allow you to truly be happy, and makes your everyday happiness even greater.
"Life is not a sprint but an endurance race."
So true.
Joe and I both absolutely loved Elder Jeffery R. Holland's talk, beginning to end. His talk reminded us how much Christ loves us, and that he died for us. I try to remember that everyday, and especially during sacrament, but sometimes it's hard to wrap my mind around it. Today I felt it. We both did.
"All that I become, I owe to Christ"
I would not be able to become the person I want to be, if it were not for Christ's atonement. If I progress to my ultimate capability, and return to live with my Heavenly Father, I owe it to Christ.
We also loved Elder David Bednar's talk. It was mostly about the Temple.
I know that Joe and I will be sealed, and I know that it will be soon. His talk reminded me how important it is in our lives to regularly go to the Temple. How we need to strive to get there, and how the adversary will do anything to stop us from receiving the blessings of the Temple. We need to stop procrastinating, and do it. I guess since I've never been there, I kinda don't know what I'm missing, therefore, I'm not missing it (does that make sense?). His talk reminded me that I am missing something.
Elder Cary E. Stevenson
"The Temple will guide you and your life...You will never be lost when you can see the Temple."
He quoted this primary song:
I Love To See The Temple
I love to see the temple.
I’m going there someday
To feel the Holy Spirit,
To listen and to pray.
For the temple is a house of God,
A place of love and beauty.
I’ll prepare myself while I am young;
This is my sacred duty.
I love to see the temple.
I’ll go inside someday.
I’ll covenant with my Father;
I’ll promise to obey.
For the temple is a holy place
Where we are sealed together.
As a child of God, I’ve learned this truth:
A family is forever.
Love it! I can feel Christ saying "Come to my Temple" when I read/hear these lyrics.
(flickr)So, On this General Conference Sunday, Joe and I woke up and made Cinnamon raisin french toast. It was yummy. Afterwords, we watched General Conference together.
I loved this General Conference! There were lots of good messages.
Here are some of our favorites. Some are Joe's and some are mine. We didn't always remember to write down who the quote was from. Sorry...maybe you remember? And they probably aren't word for word :)
"Nothing in this life can make us truly happy, except for the Gospel."
The Gospel in our lives makes everything perfect. Some people may say to themselves, "My children make me happy, My spouse makes me happy, or my family makes me happy..." Of course it is true that those things make you happy, but I think having the Gospel completes everything. Having the Gospel in your life brings truth into your life. It guides you, it teaches you who you are (A son or daughter of God), and who you can become. Knowing those things allow you to truly be happy, and makes your everyday happiness even greater.
"Life is not a sprint but an endurance race."
So true.
Joe and I both absolutely loved Elder Jeffery R. Holland's talk, beginning to end. His talk reminded us how much Christ loves us, and that he died for us. I try to remember that everyday, and especially during sacrament, but sometimes it's hard to wrap my mind around it. Today I felt it. We both did.
"All that I become, I owe to Christ"
I would not be able to become the person I want to be, if it were not for Christ's atonement. If I progress to my ultimate capability, and return to live with my Heavenly Father, I owe it to Christ.
We also loved Elder David Bednar's talk. It was mostly about the Temple.
I know that Joe and I will be sealed, and I know that it will be soon. His talk reminded me how important it is in our lives to regularly go to the Temple. How we need to strive to get there, and how the adversary will do anything to stop us from receiving the blessings of the Temple. We need to stop procrastinating, and do it. I guess since I've never been there, I kinda don't know what I'm missing, therefore, I'm not missing it (does that make sense?). His talk reminded me that I am missing something.
Elder Cary E. Stevenson
"The Temple will guide you and your life...You will never be lost when you can see the Temple."
He quoted this primary song:
I Love To See The Temple
I love to see the temple.
I’m going there someday
To feel the Holy Spirit,
To listen and to pray.
For the temple is a house of God,
A place of love and beauty.
I’ll prepare myself while I am young;
This is my sacred duty.
I love to see the temple.
I’ll go inside someday.
I’ll covenant with my Father;
I’ll promise to obey.
For the temple is a holy place
Where we are sealed together.
As a child of God, I’ve learned this truth:
A family is forever.
Love it! I can feel Christ saying "Come to my Temple" when I read/hear these lyrics.
We will.
(Denver Temple)
(flickr)Elder Jose A. Teixeria
"Spiritual gifts are tools to help navigate our lives."
I feel that Heavenly Father gave us our gifts and talents for a reason, and we need to use them.
Again, I totally loved this General Conference!
Afterwords we took a nap, ate Sloppy Joe's, made pumpkin pie, drank hot chocolate, and watched the snow gently come down.





3 comments:
Great post! It looks like you had a great conference weekend! I can't wait for you guys to go to the temple...the blessings are amazing. You'd better invite us when you go because we want to be there!!
Just a few more days until we see you!!!!!!
I'm predicting that not every week is going to be as easy as that week taking Audrey to church, especially when Darin's not there to help distract. The missionaries came over the other evening and Audrey was like 'peace guys I'm going to go play!' But she does pay attention when we say prayers at night before bed, so it will be a process of learning and conditioning. Kim has got mealtime prayer down with Scarlett, I guess Scralett reminded them the other day with her arms folded looking at them while they had forgotten and began to eat! I hope you are all having a wonderful Easter weekend, talk to you soon.
Dear Joseph & Brittany, I finally got to the library with Marky to post you another note! I'm so glad that you got to Utah OK!I'm aways a "Worry Wart" when I know that you guys are traveling a far distance. I hope that you are having a great time with everyone out there! I love the pictures of the temple that you have on your blog.That place is so beautiful.
I hope you get to seal your marriage there soon! I have quite abit of Easter gifts for you guys
that I want to send you as soon as you get back!Most of it is for your house,because you told me that you didn't want alot of candy this time. I'm sure that you will like everything! The only problem I have is that I don't have the money for shipping,nor do I think that I will be able to get it any
time too soon. So, Joseph, I guess I will have to take you up on your offer to send me some $$$$ for me
to be able to ship that stuff out to you guys(before it ends up being Christmas presents instead!)
I even hate to ask you to do that,
but I'm impatient to send it to you, because it's late as it is' and I hate that! I'm looking forward to seeing all the pics of you guys that you took while you
are out there! :) I sure do miss you both very, very much! I have to get off here now, so I can get
Marky to her appointment on time. I'm glad I was able to write to you for a few minutes.I'll try to do this again soon! Please take good care driving back home- my prayers will be with you all the way back, just as they were while you were going out there! I LOVE YOU BOTH WITH ALL MY HEART, and I
miss you so much!!! Please call me as soon as you get home,OK? =]
Get REST,too! Love, Always and Forever,MOM xox xox 10:10 Mon. 4/13/09 I Love You...
Post a Comment